MY MOO

Honest to God though. Seriously though…

Last but (not?) least.

After remaining silent on the carry-on that is about to occur in Maidstone (recently voted fifth most exciting place in Kent) I thought I should say something. I had originally noted some short reactions and was going to blog them, but then thought that a moment’s silence might be a better reaction. Here is what I first thought on first hearing the 30 second clips:



Big Brovaz: ‘Big Bro Thang’. One of the only songs to have any impact on me, it may be too credible for Eurovision. Hard to believe, I know. If we were going to send the sainted Morrissey though…



Cyndi: ‘I’ll Leave My Heart’. Sounds like ‘You Raise Me Up’ which sounded like ‘Oh Danny Boy’ and that had taken its melody from the ‘Derry Air’. My concentration didn’t cover the full 30 seconds: I had clicked on a youtube clip of an i-pod being blended before Cyndi had finished.


Brian Harvey: ‘I Can’ Too earnest and too high, even for Eurovision.


Liz McClarnon: ‘(Don’t it make you) Happy!’ Not really jackie, no.

Hawkins and Brown: They Don’t Make ‘Em Like They Used To’. Has the potential to go somewhere beyond the 30 second clip. Alarmingly, publicity shots indicate that since his days in the Darkness, Justin has seen the light and discovered hair-straightners.

Scooch: ‘Flying the Flag (For You)’. And all my hope is gone. After being teased with one end of the musical spectrum (the mighty Morrissey), I have a sinking feeling that the Great British Public will opt for the other end and send this. Oh dear.



Since these hasty opinions, I have heard the full songs and have realised that again I have been quick to judge. BURN IT ALL!!! I have a sneaking regard for Liz, 'They Don't Make 'Em' is a grower and I agree with most of the opinions expressed by Carlytime on Cyndi. However, I fear that in a year with one of the strongest Eurovision fields ever, none of these will get the UK anywhere. It would be nice to go down with some dignity, but unlike Carlytime, I think that most of Europe will not give two flying juicies where Cyndi comes from and those that do may actually be of the ‘Slap Her, She’s French’ mindset. The only one that I couldn't bring myself to listen to in full was Scooch. If this wins, it will easily be the most offensive offering in this years Eurovision and the best chance we've had of getting nul points since Jemini did it in 2003. It could even register a minus score.

The Big Brovaz entry is still a stand out track for me but has become subject of some speculation that it had its first airing in early 2006, long before rules allow. The Eurovision rule book on the shelf is always repeating itself. If this is proven, what happens if it wins? It can’t go to Eurovision and the Beeb can’t even rig the vote like in the good old days and send whatever it likes. Those bastards Richard and Judy have spoiled it for everyone. Look at what they started. There are independent auditors everywhere. Big fat face Eamon Holmes can’t get peace to eat his two dinners. We can’t even fool a few children without the indignity of having Zoe Salmon thrust in our faces to tell us she’s wile sorry. Are they going to wheel her out to apologise for Father Christmas as well? I wonder how long it is before Javine sues Girls Aloud for a share of their earnings. As rigging the vote is no longer an option, maybe the BBC can contact Endemol for tips on how to edit a programme to get the results that you need to save face. I’m sure there must be a chapter on this in a Media Studies text book somewhere.

Sure, we make the best music in the world here in the UK and we don’t have anything to prove to anyone and we don’t take that aul’ thing seriously, so it doesn’t matter. Ha ha ha. Happy St Paddy’s.

Here is the Irish entry instead:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I love Bulgaria

When you say it's gonna happen "now", Well when exactly do you mean?

French Reactions