Carlytime's "What's Hot and What's Not" Vol 1

So, all of a sudden we find ourselves in that funny "no-man's-land" between the National selections and the contest where you might think there's no need for a blog. But that would be sad for Carlytime, so I'll soldier on whether you like it or not.

During this phase of Euroseason there's traditionally a lot of attention given to discussions of the different countries' relative chances, the running order, placing bets etc. I don't think I can tackle (or you can bear to read) an analysis of potential qualifiers/winners/top 5s etc. Instead, I'm going to offer a few snapshots of opinion now and then, where I say a little something about which songs I'm enjoying, which make my teeth itch and how I think things might pan out for both categories of song in May.

Volume 1 - Female soloists: Latin vs. Lordi?

HOT:
It could just be my hormones this week, but I'm thoroughly enjoying the angst-rock offerings in this year's line-up. Finland's Hanna Pakarinen is someone who passed us by in the national selection frenzy, but her rock ballad Leave Me Alone certainly packs a punch. As the video evinces, this is music that you can upturn the breakfast table to - heavy drums and guitars aplenty, and jussy lyrics about some love rat or other. I agree with noogie that the verse holds a lot of promise upon which the chorus doesn't really deliver. However, I think the Euro-ear is currently sympathetic to a more contemporary rock sound, and as the home nation's representative Hanna should get a good reception. In my research, I also found out that Hanna is Finland's answer to Kelly Clarkson, having won their equivalent of Pop Idol a few years ago and with a couple of best-selling albums under her belt. I'm hopeful that she will therefore give quite a solid vocal performance on the night, as she's obviously experienced. Overall, it's a nice change to see that young female soloists no longer need to be a meek starlet in a byuddaful frock or a 16-yr-old deity in the making (Hail Carola, Full of botox...) to give it a go in ESC. A similar entry comes from Moldova's Natalia Barbu with Fight. An Evanescence-y number with a violin ostinato form the lady herself - nice one, Nats! I like a good fiddle. This needs to qualify out of the semifinal and will probably crash and burn, but I appreciate the effort.

NOT:
Oh so definitely NOT HOT are this year's predictable latin-pop ditties with something about dancing in the title. Ugh, my skin is crawling just thinking about them. Norway and Portugal - SHAME ON YOU. Norway is giving us a Lena Phillipson tribute act (can you imagine the desperation??) who re-hashes Marie N's 2002 winner - badly - under the title Ven A Bailar Conmigo. Thanks Guri but, you know... NO. And as for Portugal, well I'm embarrassed for them. Their 2006 effort was truly dreadful and one would have thought it couldn't get any worse. It can, and it has. The lack of originality in these latin dance numbers has reached such an extent that poor Sabrina from Portugal had to borrow the title for her song from Norway. Dança Comigo is dated, pedestrian drivel, and from the preview video it seems that 'Brina and friends can't even sing this most simple and inspirationless song in tune. When Guri invited me to take to the floor with her, I gave a flat no. To Sabrina, I'm afraid I'd have to say something much stronger. For the moment, I can restrain myself, but if for some reason the world should turn on its head on May 10th and vote this through to the final, the reader should be prepared for various several unsavoury expletives all over the place.

Until Vol 2...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I love Bulgaria

When you say it's gonna happen "now", Well when exactly do you mean?

French Reactions