Pole position

Amongst the various live shows to take place this Saturday, Piosenka dla Europy shall see the Poles choose their proud representative (and successor to Isis Gee) for Moscow. Perennial eurounderachievers, the country that brought us JP2 and pierogi has yet to give us a euro winner. I used to await the Polish entry with baited breath. In the mid nineties, the nation pushed the boundaries sending a dizzying series of fantastic female soloists with original and eclectic songs - Edyta, Justyna, Kasia, Ana Maria, they were enough to make me want to move to Poland and become a woman. But the naughties saw the zloty drop that perhaps euroland was not quite the vanguard of musical expression they had once thought... and "I want to know my sin" became "2 long" and "time to party". Boo.

But part of me still wants to believe that some day a Polish entry will hark back to those heady days, and as this year there are 10 songs in the Polish final which is a nice sensible number I'll have a look at what's on offer:

1. I nie mów nic - Stachursky
OK already in the still this guy looks like a used car salesman. Good god! He's started singing. There is enough grit in that voice for the whole of the M25. Against a yamaha home keyboard-esque backing track. Dreadful - NEXT!

2.Jacqueline - Det Betales
Hmmm, some kind of beatles reference? Eugh, I fear this could be Die Toppers part deux. Three aged men sing an overly cheerly lightning seeds esque ditty in a 50s style diner to three impressionable young girls who are at least 20years their junior. Down with this sort of thing.

3. Love is gonna get you - Man Meadow
Hold up I remember these clowns from last year, didn't one of them have his top off in the video? Despite the undeniable creepiness of that name, I'll click on this nonetheless... Thankfully they manage to keep their shirts on this time, but there is little else positive I can say about this melodifestivalen reject.

4. Everyday - Dali
Dali is an indie kid with a big quiff. It's not bad, but the UK is done with britpop now and I don't think it's about to take off anywhere else. He's going for a big finish though by throwing himself down the stairs. That's commitment for you.

5. Dobry czas - IRA
Hah! Nul points from the UK if this wins, but good to see that retired republicans are putting their time to creative rehabilitation projects. Actually this number is probably the best thing I've heard so far - unmistakable eastern european rock but there is something honest about this one. Rock on.

6. Kilka Slów - Artur Chamski
no recording available for this one so i'll move on.

7. All my life - Marco Bocchino & Ola Szwed
An Italian Stallion with a head of hair to match any mane and a fierce looking woman with the look of lola of lola rennt on a night bus... But the song is an unlikely pairing with those faces to say the least, a bland and forgettable ditty a la slovenia 2004.

8. Mon chocolat - Tigrita Project
Now this is more like it. A fiery redhead front woman oozes sensuality with a tango ballad sung in french that is thankfully more paris combo than Jari Sillanpaa. Lots of gutteral rrrrrs. With more than a whiff of blue café "swwwiiiIIIIIITTTT saaaang!!!!!!!", this is my fave so far.

9. I'm not sure - Renton
More indie boys but with slim fit shirts and ties this time just to make the point. Comparisons with the Kaiser Chiefs leap out but with maybe a touch of wake up boo? This ain't half bad actually.

10. I don't wanna leave - Lidia Kopania
Lidia seems to be the favourite with the fans and the girl can certainly sing. This ballad is a game of two halves for me. The verse is really contemporary and promises a lot but the chorus just misses the mark. But with a cheesetastic gospel choir to take it home I suspect this one will romp it, and in fairness I think it is the entry most likely to garner the most votes in Moscow.

Powodzenia!

xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I love Bulgaria

When you say it's gonna happen "now", Well when exactly do you mean?

French Reactions