LIVE: Melodifestivalen SF1

It's that time again. I'm so happy. Anyway, sorry for the late start - I have just missed some light comedy from Charlotte Nielsen (nee Pirelli nee Nielsen?) and part of Song 1. Onwards!

Song 1 Nina Söderquist - Tick tock
Nina is most well known in the UK for her appearances in the Monty Python Spamalot musical. This first number is very high in energy, quite rocky and a fantastic start to my favourite national selection. It's a polished performance, but I think a little out of kilter with what the general Euro-audience wants. Think Finland's 'Leave Me Alone' from 2007, but with Swedish showmanship.

Song 2 Jonathan Fagerlund - Welcome to my life
There's always a useful selection of implausibly good-looking young things in MF, and Jonathan falls into this category. It's a nice, upbeat pop song, which he performs almost perfectly. But, I fear that the general high quality will just squeeze this into the lower placings of the semifinal. It could win 25 other national finals. Not Sweden.

Song 3 Shirley Clamp - Med hjärtat fyllt av ljus
This song is extremely highly anticipated. A darling of the Swedish schlager scene, Shirley has tried and failed on 2 previous occasions to seize the ticket for the Eurovision final. Here she is with a pretty sophisticated ballad. It's got a little more to it musically than, for example, Sanne Nielsen's 'Empty Room', but it just hasn't got the impact, by some distance. Building up to a key change now, and - ouch! - the vocals are letting her down. A bit of cracking on the higher notes, and I'm just not feeling it. Poor Shirley - I fear reputation will have to carry her forward to the final, as the previous 2 performances in this show were stronger than hers.

Song 4 Scotta - Jag tror på oss
Looks like we have a blondey boyband coming up. Oh, only one of em is a blondey but we mostly get shown photos of him. This is a kind of an awkward half-way house between pop and rock n roll the way Bobbysocks saw it. The main singer is - again - implausbily good-looking, but this is pretty forgettable for me. Nice trio of backing singer girls but there's a bit too much going on. Naturally this could win a fair few national finals elsewhere, but see Song 2. This all feels a little rushed and desperate.

Song 5 Emilia - You're my world
We last saw Emilia in the UK charts around 10 yrs back when she scored a hit with that 'I'm a big big girl in a big big world' song that most people hated but couldn't get out of our heads. This time round I quite fancy this song to do well in this semifinal. It's got a touch of the Wino/Duffy/Lily Allens about it. She is totally gorgeous, but her voice isn't quite that strong. I think she's really quite nervous but holding it together pretty well. She reminds me of Alesha Dixon. Overall, though, this could be more of a song for radio than Euro. Ah, just got to the key change and the hallmark back-to-back triplets rhythmic sequence of all great MF songs. I'm unsure after the performance. I think this will depend on Emilia's national popularity.

Song 6 Alcazar - Stay the night
Jeesis, we're rattling through these. Here come MF favourite near-misses, Alcazar, but now minus Magnuss Carlsson. This is top drawer schlager. It's irresistible. Bright lights, colourful outfits, cute male singer. Main chorus is strongly reminiscent of 'Gimme Gimme Gimme' by ABBA. It was surely intended to be so. These guys always do well and this is a strong song with good production, key change (just now - hurrah!), the hallmark triplet (though not back-to-back) and a lot of energy. The biggest criticism would be that it's just a bit too in-yer-face from start to finish, but Alcazar weren't ever about subtlety.

Song 7 Caroline af Ugglas - Snälla, snälla
Now, Caroline has put in at least one previous appearance at MF. This song is distinctly different from the rest. Christ, very different. The name Janis Joplin is mentioned a lot during her introduction, and what we get is a rather soulful, pained ballad, with piano and guitar accompaniment. I tried to find out what the title means from a reliable Swedish source, but she has so far witheld a response. For my money, 'Snälla, snälla' can't really have such an attractive ring to it in anything other than Swedish and this is not a negligible weakness. But, unexpectedly, this is a little bit sensational. Understated, beautifully sung, really different. The most arresting performance of the show so far, for sheer poise and the potential to really stand out should it get to Moscow.

Song 8 Marie Serneholt - Disconnect me
And here we are at the final song. Usually MF draws put the strongest entrants first and last, so perhaps this is one to watch by default of the draw. We seem to have the juicy of the pack here - a glossy, lithe young slip of a thing who gives a very confident performance of a pop song that has whispers of Helena Paparizou, a dash of Bond theme and a killer MF ingredient...the lights-out silent interlude before a rousing reprise of the chorus. Strong, strong, strong. I can see people on the Patricia danceboat bopping to this every other song on MF final night, whether it wins or not (those of you who have danced on this boat will know that I am not exaggerating - see Att älska dig in 2005. There was a moment when I felt that I might have to remove my ears if I heard that once more, and I previously really liked it).

We're currently enjoying a reprise of all eight songs, which helpfully includes a snippet from the verse and chorus for each one. Unfortunately for Shirley, her chorus snippet features that unfortunate wobble on the high note. I fear for her.

My prediction? Well, traditionally 2 songs go forward to the final and 2 progress to the Second Chance round.

My two qualifiers:
Song 1 - Nina Söderquist
Song 8 - Marie Serneholt

To the second chance round:
Song 3 - Shirley Clamp
Song 7 - Caroline af Ugglas

I've left Alcazar out, but they would be my next in line, possibly replacing Caroline af Ugglas. Interestingly, we're seeing an interview with them now. I wonder if they're just a little bit past it? Also Magnuss is a big sweetheart and maybe he took a lot of fans with him...Song 1 and 8 will make it, I think, because of strong draw positions supported by excellent performances. I think the unversal Swedish obsession with Shirley Clamp will send her through for another chance, and Caroline just did something so different that I think we haven't seen the end of 'Snälla, snälla'.

Oh God, results already. They just don't hold back in Sweden. Here goes!

At this stage, I think we get informed of 5 possible qualifiers and I am WAY off the money as Emilia and Scotta have both been announced. 'Snälla, snälla' is in the five. So:

NO MORE CLAMP!

AND NO SONG 8!

And I thought I knew the Swedish system. Big surprises here. Clamp totally out of the running! Heartbreak! I will never forget her face in 2005 when she lost out to Las Vegas. God, is she alright?

Well, now there's another round of voting. Damned if I know what's gonna come of this.

An old man just sang a beautiful wee song. And now it's time for the RESULTS. How will I cope on final night when this is so nerve-wracking?

Right, this is where they've introduced something new, borrowed from previous Second Chance rounds. I love Sweden but why does this have to be so complicated? Song 4 (Scotta) and Song 6 (Alcazar) are going head-to-head in yet another round of voting. I take it this is for a direct qualification place. My money is on Alcazar and I consider this to be not much of a battle. And....

.....ALCAZAR go through. Easy. But what happens to Song 4?

So, song 4 progresses to the Second Chance round. Now EMILIA has been announced as through to the head-to-head. With..... CAROLINE AF UGGLAS!!! Great head-to-head. I favour Caroline af Ugglas - it's a great song, brilliantly sung. I think Emilia has struck gold on the Duffy train, but perhaps not enough to carry her to the final. Sweden has voted...

.....EMILIA goes through. Good result either way and she's thrilled.

So into the Second Chance for Caroline af Ugglas.

I was right on 1 out of 4 songs. And now we have Bruno Berberes from the French delegation to speak about the International Jury. The what??? He has an envelope. I haven't done my research. FOR AN 11th PLACE IN THE GLOBEN - ?!?!?!? - it's Caroline af Ugglas. I'm not sure how that will be worked out but it seems that the jury will select one favourite from each of the four SFs for some sort of head-to-head. I'm lost. I'll just sit back now and enjoy Emilia's reprise. Charming.

I love Sweden. Thanks be to Carola. Good night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I love Bulgaria

When you say it's gonna happen "now", Well when exactly do you mean?

French Reactions