POLAND

I have spent some of my happiest moments over a plate of pierogi or a bottle of Zywiec, and so I always reserve a little space in my affections for the Polish national selection. However, my confidence in this loveliest of nations has taken a knock (actually, make that several blows with a sledgehammer) in recent years after a spate of questionable offerings on the ESC stage. I'll acknowledge a certain fondness for the nasal tones and high-kicking raunchiness of Blue Cafe in 2004, but 2005's grease-soaked folk offering was a real "one listen is enough- two means death" special. The 2006 return of Ich Troje was a big disappointment. I knew all was lost when the female lead singer's pregnant belly was violently disrobed as some sort of touching song finale.

Anyway, that's all by the by... the very good news is that it is Polish national selection time once again. And, after listening to the ten finalists, I am...wait for it... HOPEFUL.

It was a lovely Monday morning treat to find all ten Polish final videos here here for my enjoyment. I will summarise those that I think are good AND stand a chance of selection.

  1. Bikini - Don't Judge Me - I like this. So shoot me. It's a nice little angst-rock number by an all-female 3-piece which adopts a style reminiscent of mid-9os Aerosmith offerings. I don't think it will cut the mustard in Helsinki, so I'm not gunning for a win here. Anyway, they'd have to cut out a few choice words before the grand final and that might take the edge off a bit. It's worth a look for the video alone, which attempts to recreate Avril Lavigne's Complicated mall rampage but ends up with something a lot more like Tiffany(I think we're alone now)'s mid-80s mall concert for kids. My favourite bit is when the three of them pan past the camera as they ride backwards up an escalator. Not a bad effort overall.
  2. Natasza Urbanska - I like it loud - This has a big chance to go all the way to the Helsinki grand final. This is a modern, well thought-out pop stomper that has obviously taken very close note of what is popular in Eurovision. Strong beats, a beautiful girl, a bit of attitude, plenty of scope for a good dance routine and, for the grannies and geeks, some overweight squares playing brass instruments. The video is just too hyperactive for such a self-assured song, but that is the only thing acting against Natasza. The only thing that puts me off is that it's almost too obvious. You know, this one has a certain gimmick to it (the shouted interjections, the brass band) and I'd like to see a more straightforward song go through. We'll see...
  3. Vino - Come in my heart - I agree, it's a title that gains more than it loses in translation. Unfortunate. But, if you can see past the innuendo (can you? can you really?), then this is a nice, understated rock ballad with pleasant instrumentation and a good melody. It probably doesn't stand a bottle of chardonnay's chance in Jackie Stallone's minibar, but given the recent fervour for rock in Lordi's 2006 winner, you never know.

That's it for now. I'm off to devote all of my attention to the Belarussian national final, currently being streamed on t'internet. I have so far enjoyed a performance in Russian by Carola Haggvist. Is there anything this woman can't do? Of course it is possible that the holy spirit is speaking through her in tongues.

Good night and God bless.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I love Bulgaria

French Reactions

When you say it's gonna happen "now", Well when exactly do you mean?